Tuesday, May 7, 2013

ESXi All-In-One three month update + Cisco lab update

After realizing it had been weeks since I last logged in to my colocated ESXi All-In-One, I was surprised to find it still chugging along with no complaints. The Crucial M4's are still happily running and the hardware seems as solid as ever. Since this was a spare parts/ebay special/junk bin build, I never expected it to be quite as solid as it is.

Last week, I added 24x 1.5TB Seagate drives in a Supermicro 846 chassis. Hopefully I will be adding a ZIL/L2ARC cache drive here in the future to help speed up these spindles, but for now they will be setup in two RaidZ2 pools and acting as a backup for the SSD pools.




As far as the Cisco Lab update goes, I finally decided I must get off my ass and get this cert finished. My Jr. Admin has shown interest in learning Cisco and with our works recent decision to fund certifications, I can't think of a better time. This picture is a few weeks old, but it shows a majority of the gear.

(1) 881w
(1) ASA5505
(3) 1841 
(1) 2821
(1) 2621XM
(1) 1760
(1) 3640
(4) 2950 Switches
(1) 3750-48 Switch

Ideally for the CCNA I will end up with just (3) 1841 and (3) 2950's, using the 3750 as needed for some of the newer commands. Otherwise, with a few cables we should be good to start studying and doing practice labs. Can't wait. For the CCNP I will need to add at least another ASA, but that can wait for now.

Wish us luck- 
Marc




No comments:

Post a Comment