Tuesday, August 30, 2011

pfSense 2.0 RC3 embedded with VGA

Last week I blogged about hacking up an old Google Mini appliance and transforming it in to a energy efficient pfSense router. Today I wanted to make a quick note about how to setup pfSense 2.0 RC3 embedded with VGA. For many years I used pfSense 1.2 on a older pentium III. What drew me to pfSense was its small platform and ability to run off a compact flash card. It was only after I purchased some used 1u vpn routers that had compact flash card readers built in that I started researching about the embedded version. These same appliances had VGA ports and usb ports, along with 4 network ports and 1 additional PCI device (wifi or lan for example). After searching around a bit I found Hacom, an embedded systems and appliance company. These great folks have provided their modified factory embedded install, enabling VGA and USB while still running off a small 256mg-4gb compact flash card. Now that I am more accustom to console devices, the CLI no longer scares me, but even so I installed Hacom's latest release of vga enabled pfSense on my new router.

You can download PFhacom here:

http://www.hacom.net/kb/pfsense-2-rc3

And use physdiskwrite to get it on to your CF card:
http://m0n0.ch/wall/physdiskwrite.php

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment