Friday, September 21, 2012

pfSense- retiring the google hackery for a Cisco 881w

Saturday was a sad day.

My wife came and told me the closet was screeching at her. After investigating, it was the fans in the 1U powersupply of the Google pfSense appliance. I had no 40mm fans in stock, Fry's was out and my only choice was to replace it. I have had a Cisco 881w kicking around, waiting to be installed at my parents house a state away, along with a spare n40l Hp Microserver for remote backups. Thankfully I had it configuered and ready to go. All I had to do was change some IP addresses and plug it in. I did disable the built in AP, seeing as we have a Unifi LR Access Point that does a great job covering our house and shop.

The worst part? I do not think I ever took advantage of all the features pfSense had to offer. The 881w is a solid little router and I do not think I will ever replace it with the old Google appliance. My next system will be smaller, maybe a alix board? Who knows! Anyone want to buy a Dual Core Atom and 2gb ram?

No comments:

Post a Comment